October 7, 2009

Driveway beautyfication

It is still a good time to plant, and after my rigorous pulling of weeds the last couple of years, there was a large bare spot when you turned into our driveway. The area is well irrigated by run-off so I decided to take advantage of that and make the area a little more welcoming.


Yesterday Dan dug up the soil with the Tonka Toy and improved it with horse manure so it was all ready for me to plant today. I chose plants that have either shown to be hardy here without additional irrigation, such as Texas Ranger, or are truly of this desert, like the Soaptree Yucca and the Desert Spoon. I put large basins around them to catch the water when it rains. Meanwhile, I can irrigate them while they are getting established this fall and winter, and by spring they will be on their own.

I have learned my lesson and mulched with pea gravel and put protective cages around each plant right away. They are all "rabbit proof", but the animals are curious and will nibble anyway and then spit out the leaves. Meanwhile, there are no branches left when the plant is small.


I know it does not look like much now, but once water is applied, plants do grow here.

No comments: