September 12, 2010

What, exactly, is going on here?

It is about the end of the monsoon, and we cannot complain about a lack of rainfall this year. The mesquites even put on a late bloom, which has produced late pods on the trees. I know that these pods are high in protein and provide food for a lot of our desert animals, from tiny insects to coyotes. You can even buy mesquite flour off the Internet, and I have been told that it is quite tasty.


This afternoon all kinds of insects were hanging off the pods and seemingly feeding on some of them. I could see where pods had been "damaged" (who did the damage?), and animals were competing for and eating at these spots. There were mesquite bugs, June bugs (do they not know it is September?), wasps, lady bugs, butterflies all in very close proximity. So is this a feeding frenzy?





1 comment:

Emily said...

I am going to have to show one of my boys this blog...he is really into bugs and there are so many here to see!