February 26, 2010

Winter chores

Much as I enjoy the riding and hiking, I enjoy putzing around the ranch too. It is wonderful not to have the pressure of having to get things done "right now", because you are working and there are only 24 hours in the day, or because the weather happens to be decent enough on a weekend that you'd better take advantage of it as you may not have another opportunity in the next month or so.


I have been spreading old manure on some of the empty garden beds already, and today I decided to clean out the brussels sprouts and broccoli that never produced this winter because I started them too late. Note to self: start seedlings in August. But even though they did not produce for us, they were nice plants and the hens had a hay day with them.

Dan was nice enough to continue to replace the irrigation valves in the garden. The sun is murder on plastic, and some of them broke off when they were turned on. So, this next generation is metal valves. We are learning ...


The weather is gorgeous today and I noticed the both the apple trees are thinking spring: they are leafing out. Let's hope that there is no more frost. The trees are so small though that I can easily throw some protection over them should that be necessary.

3 comments:

webb said...

Ah, spring! I can see the first signs in Central Virginia. if the wind will stop blowing long enough to go outside and take some photos....

What kind of chickens are they? I love the black and white stripes!

Anneke said...

Those are Barred Plymouth Rock hens. The black ones are Astralorps and the pheasant-looking ones (my favorites) are Auracanas. They all lay great eggs.

Gail said...

Spring! I am so glad it is almost here.