April 23, 2011

We are besotted


The plan was to go looking for a road bike for me. I had mentioned that it would be good to ride the Cochise County Classic (45 miles) and El Tour de Tucson (66 miles, with Shannon) on a bike made for pavement, rather than on Amelia, my mountain bike. More aerodynamic, a bit lighter.

When we were at the bike shop, and I was being educated by a fellow Dutchman (an ex-racer), Dan test rode a mountain bike he thought he might like. Then he wanted to try out the bike I was riding. And we both fell in love with this gorgeous machine. It is a Specialized TriCross Comp, and would allow us to gracefully navigate our 1.5 miles of washboardy dirt road before we ever hit pavement, and then it would sing.


The long and short of it is that we both bought a bike. The same model. After all, this is the time of our lives, and if it's something that Dan would enjoy too, so much the better. We were fitted for our new bikes yesterday, and put Dan in spandex (Dave .., Shannon...) . He went for a short ride this morning (I was dealing with yet another sore throat - don't seem to be able to take things easy enough), and returned with a big grin and was ready to go again. He promised I would never ride Amelia again: from now on it will just be Racy Tracy. I can't wait.

3 comments:

DJ said...

Wait a minute, does this mean I'll be the only one cheering you all on during the race? What happened to the plan, Dan?

Anneke said...

Oh no, not to worry, you will both be cheering (and treating) us when we cross that finish line. El Tour is Shannon and my ride!

webb said...

There is nothing so light and flying as a real roadbike. I cannot part with my Bianchi even tho I haven;t been on it in at least five years. It sings on the road!

Hope you put 100's of miles on it in good health!