October 1, 2010

Camouflage

I find praying mantis' fascinating insects, and we are seeing a lot of them right now. In the evening they sit on the window screens scoping out snacks among the moths and other insects that are drawn to the lights inside.

When pulling weeds this week I came upon a large green female, and I tried to leave the plant she was on while I cleaned up the rest of the patch, but time came for that plant to also go into brush pile. I looked for her, but did not see her and hoped for the best. I then felt something on my arm, and there she was! I carefully put her on my hand and she just sat there and looked at me. I was amazed. She now lives on the other side of the driveway, hopefully (life is tough out here).


Most of the praying mantis' that we see here are green, but I found this tan one on a basil plant this morning. Should have been green... And then there was this green one on the hay fork. Should have been tan ...

No comments: