December 16, 2009

Cookie swap

Sometimes I wonder where my head is. Tonight is Lucy's Christmas cookie swap; only 6 people are participating this year. Frankly, that is fine with me because it's a bit boring to make 9 or 10 dozen cookies of one type to exchange.

I had already decided to make ginger crackles: they taste good, are easy to make, and can be frozen ahead. As a matter of fact, I had already made up the dough, shaped it into balls, and froze it one day when the weather was a bit ho-hum.


But, Lucy has had a bit of a rough year, and I found this recipe (from a trusted source) for Polish-type cookies ... Lucy likes to honor her heritage, so I decided to honor her. The recipe was simple enough, but I never take the time to shape cookies, leave alone needing a ruler to make 2" squares, so I had a bit of a frustrating afternoon. Then filling those 2" squares with apricot preserves? What a sticky mess! What was I thinking?? Not knowing what they are supposed to taste like, I hope they are ok.


This one's for you, Luce. From me, and the ever-present, and ever hopeful, kitchen vulture.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

"Come on, Mom! Have a heart! Just drop a little piece, please, please, please?!"