December 2, 2008

Late Harvest

I really enjoy the fact that the weather knows how to return to "normal" here after a storm. We can have some rainy and windy days, but it only lasts a short while and then it is gorgeous again. It makes you appreciate and enjoy those "off" days, knowing that the sun will be returning shortly. The soil is still moist from the Thanksgiving storm, but we are having a beautiful day today with temperatures in the low 70's.


Dan mentioned that unless I provided more tomatoes, our standard lunch sandwich of homemade bread, cheese and tomato would come to an end, so I went to investigate our tomato situation. We had some frost last night, and the tomato plants are certainly on their last legs/stems. I did manage to pluck some tomatoes, but I think this will be the final harvest. I am reluctant to pull up the plants because there are still plenty that feed the birds. I saw the curvebill thrasher, who hardly stepped aside while I was in the garden, and there is a family of sparrows that seem to spend their entire day there, feasting on the leftovers. Then there are the quail who go by the garden on their way home, after having been fed seed in the back yard, for a green snack. Perhaps they call that dessert.


The remaining tomatoes will also be fed to our chickens who also think they are a delicacy: they come running to the fence when they see me coming from the garden.

No comments: