December 7, 2008

Getting Ready for Christmas

I almost have to force myself to think about Christmas. Aside from the fact that time seems to fly by and I still seem to be in fall mode, the weather does not urge one to belt out Jingle Bells right now. But I refuse to succumb to the ho-humbug, or procrastination, because if you don't celebrate the holidays, what are they for?


We decorated the house and the barn this past week, or at least we hung lights (in t-shirts). Dan also welded a wonderful wreath from used horseshoes, a must here out West in my opinion, which we hung on the big round pen. I still plan to make a wreath for the front door, but because I use fresh materials I want to wait until we are a bit closer to Christmas.


House decorations do go up early here. A couple of our neighbors have a friendly contest of who has their lights up first, and their houses are always lit on the day after Thanksgiving. I do admit that it is very festive and welcoming to look out into our dark night and see their lights.

I went out to take a picture of the horseshoe wreath just after sundown today, and found this beautiful sky outside. The bright colors are part of a rainbow that arched fully over the WD.

And this is our house with its lights.

No comments: