December 11, 2008

Hawk

Hawks are a common sight here in the Sulphur Springs Valley and not a day goes by that we don't see one or more species. Lately we have a hawk do a regular fly by of the Whoadammit Bird Buffet, which is served twice daily and is very popular with all the birds and the two kinds of quail we have here: the Gambel and the Scaled quail.

Yesterday on my way to the chicken coop I spooked a hawk out of the garden. He flew away from me, made a sharp turn and sat back on the garden fence. I think I may have disturbed his breakfast. We have a lot of small birds and rodents still eating the seeds of the basil plants. I stood very still and was itching to get to the camera in my pocket but knew that the minute I made a move he would be off. Instead I decided to take a good look at him so that I would be able to identify him. We were so close! We could have shook talons/hands. He was about 12 inches tall, with a speckled white breast and an eye bar over his yellow eye.

I found in the bird book that he was either a young Cooper's Hawk (most likely), or a young Sharp-shinned Hawk. I should have noted the shape of his tail when he flew off, for positive identification. The Cooper's has a rounded tail, the Sharp-shinned a square one. What a thrill to see that bird so close. If only I could have taken a picture....

No comments: