December 2, 2008

Birthday Girl


It is Emma's birthday today, her first. She is a special dog, as all our dogs seem to be. Emma, however, is very affectionate, as well as smart. For some reason her puppy hood seemed very short, perhaps because she has always been such an easy and sweet dog. She wants to meet everybody and lets you know by an enthusiastic wagging of her tail. She is careful around older or infirm people, and did not react at all when once a cane was inadvertently put on her tail.

Being a Labrador, or should I say Lappador (even at 60 or so pounds), food is very important, and we have gone to a "slow down" food bowl to have her take 15 seconds to finish her meal, rather than 5. She is also my sous-chef, helping out by putting her front paws on my feet when I am preparing anything edible, and faithfully follows me from stove, to sink, to counter. She has yet to turn something down when offered, but one of her favorite snacks outside is rabbit raisins, although she does not pull up her nose at horse poop, or horse food in the form of alfalfa pellets.


Em is good friends with Shawna, and we go through daily rounds of tail biting, head locks, and butt swings. What Emma lacks in strength and weight she makes up for in agility. I relish every morning when I take these dogs for a walk: Shawna investigating something in the bushes, and Emma racing past me with her ears aflapping. May she have many more birthdays with us.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Happy birthday, Emma! I hope your parents are spoiling you as much as they should be! :)