December 17, 2010

Pear trees

The pear trees I ordered by mail came today and as per instructions they were planted asap. That means here "within 15 minutes of their arrival". These are varieties that I was not able to buy locally, and I really wanted to grow them. Rather, I really want to eat them. One of them is Comice, which to me is the best pear on the planet. You have to peel, but the flavor and juiciness are unequalled in my opinion. The other tree is a Sugar Pear.

It certainly helped to have the holes dug and amended months ago, and it was great that we had 0.3 inches of rain last night. I am a little concerned about the transplant shock as these trees came from Georgia, but they are dormant, and I hope that the black plastic mulch around the base will warm up the soil a little bit. If frost threatens, I will cover them with some row cover, although when mature, these trees should be fine in our winters.


The orchard is now complete with 3 apples, 3 pears, 3 peaches, 1 fig, 1 apricot, and 1 Italian plum. Next will be to learn to prune the first set of trees that were planted in 2009.

1 comment:

webb said...

Wow! I am so impressed! Would love to have an orchard of any kind, much less one you have planned and laid out for yourself. And pears! Can't wait to see the spring photos.