March 30, 2009

That daggum wind!

I love spring: new growth, birds returning from winter vacations, blooming cacti, baby bunnies, longer days ... But why does it have to blow? It is a spring time phenomenon in the desert and one I really dislike. Just about everybody agrees with me, and I even wonder if the wind rearranges everyone's molecules so we are all edgy, including the dogs.

There are whitecaps on the birdbath, and the birds are having a hard time getting a drink without sliding in or being blown off. The raptors sit on their perches like cyclists leaning over the handlebars, and I have no idea how the hummingbird drinks any nectar from the feeder. It is painful to watch his approach against the wind and trying to gain enough speed to catch a beakful. I don't know why he doesn't throw out an anchor and latch on with his feet, but he remains suspended. The gold finches are hanging onto their sock feeder for dear life as it is being blown straight out from the tree.


We put new flymasks on the horses to keep some of the dust from getting into their eyes, and I think they appreciate it as even Buggsy nuzzles up to get his put on. (It is Bueno in the picture). There is not an insect in sight of course. All our flies were on their way to New Mexico or Texas this morning, but we will probably get a whole slew of California ones.

Our day was put to good use however, without having to venture outside much. We got a truckfull of hay and other animal feed this morning, and half the pavers for the shop/shed porch at lunch time. This meant driving for 3 hours, but at least there was no chance of us getting blown away.


I put a bale of alfalfa in the chicken yard. The garden is empty now, and there are no fresh greens that can be fed to the hens until I plant new stuff. They do need some greenery here in the desert, not being able to scratch in grass, and I hope this keeps them happy for a couple of weeks. It drew their immediate attention.

No comments: