September 1, 2008

"Pastured" Chickens

Our hens, a mixed flock of Plymouth Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Auracana and Astralorps have been laying eggs for a year now.

In spite of the fact that we built them a Chicken Taj Mahal and have been keeping them safe from coyotes and raptors in a good-sized yard, they are apparently bored and are cannibalizing each other. (Chickens are sharks in feathers, I was told). So now, in the afternoons, after the laying business should have been concluded, I let them out in the yard.

The hens are loving this, and it is fun to see them go cruising by the window in search of some yummy bug.

1 comment:

DJ said...

Your chickens are eating chicken? Sounds like an episode of X files. Everything looks so wonderfully green there and now I'm curious about the fact that your monsoon season and our monsoon season are at the same time year. I think Thailand's has already come and gone.

Maybe it's just because she is in the foreground, but Emma looks like she's already bigger than Shawna (heighth wise). I have the perfect boyfriend for her (Emma, not Shawna) but she would have to travel to India...I guess that's out then, huh?