September 25, 2008

Landscaping WD-style

Equipment required:
- one backhoe (thanks, Dave), plus operator (thanks, Dan), for digging holes
- one tractor, for hauling buckets full of composted horse manure
- shovel and cultivator

Also required:
- lots of shoulder grease and energy

Procedure:
- dig large planting holes
- tease out the clods larger than 2 inches and pile them up for later removal
- fill planting hole with horse manure (thankfully never a shortage of that)
- add horse manure to leftover fill material
- mix manure and fill
- add plant and water and rabbit protection

Before the house was built it was deemed necessary that the ground be leveled and compacted to ensure a good foundation. The contractors in charge took their job seriously and wetted and compacted soil with heavy equipment for weeks on end. The result was a local version of concrete. When we moved in I had serious doubts that any plant would ever be able to set root here, leave alone flourish. That first year I spent a lot of time with a pick and shovel, and sweated a lot. Surprisingly, a lot of plants have done well and I am pleased with the results to date. With a few exceptions I have opted for planting native plants, or at least ones that do not require a lot of water.

Yesterday it was time to finish the landscaping by the west side of the house. By now I know that the closer to the house the harder the soil, so it was a tough day. But, thanks to the equipment I did get it done. Tomorrow I will have to extend the drip irrigation.


I also planted some hardy natives (plants, that is) in front of the barn, and planted a Velvet Ash by Buggsy's stall to provide some shade in summer. Still left are 5 plants to go in front of the shop/shed.

1 comment:

DJ said...

I can not believe how everything has grown since the last time that we visited. It is just amazing. Momma and I have got to get out there to see everything...even if I have to drive...

Love, Denise