September 5, 2008

Could it be...?

We worked on the shop/shed roof today. Got it done, actually (yeah!). This meant that I spent quite a bit of time on the scaffolding; hanging on to the building with one hand (I am a height wuss) and usually hanging onto a piece of metal with the other, waiting for Dan to position and fasten a panel.

Being elevated like that does have its high points (I know, bad pun). You get a different perspective on the immediate surroundings: the yard, the garden, the horses interacting with each other. I got also checked out by a number of interesting looking insects, and was even buzzed by a hummingbird. I was wearing a red bandanna to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

But in surveying the garden, I noticed Towhees, I presume the parents who had been tending young in the grapevines but whose nest was abandoned after the rainstorm a few days ago, still with insects in their beaks as if to feed chicks.... They ignored the nest site, but jumped off the fence and scurried under the asparagus fronds. Could it be that the babies were able to hop there for shelter, and that they are still alive? I will be very careful in the garden now to not scare them away as they were nervous parents before: they flew off the minute I entered the garden. I think the chicks will be safe there as the fronds are "mondo", as they say here, and the garden is well-fenced from predators. I am hopeful. It would be so cool if the chicks had survived after all.

No comments: