September 29, 2008

But he is so CUTE!

This morning I was checking on the irrigation after installing new drippers on the newly planted plants, and discovered 2 geysers by the earth oven. The oven sits in a corner of the yard and was a birthday gift from my friends David and Barbara. It bakes excellent pizza, but in the summer it is covered by a tarp so the rains do not erode the adobe.

The irrigation problem involved nipped lines and a missing dripper head, and I thought that a rabbit had done the damage. After fixing the problem I lifted the cover over the oven as it can be removed for the winter, and who do I find? A pack rat! A tiny one at that. It has made a nest on the tiled "counter" , and has laid in a huge amount of mesquite beans for the winter. Thankfully it has not found its way into the oven itself.


I know he looks very cute, but an eviction notice has been posted.

No comments: