September 6, 2011

No more vacations in August!


I forgot all about the fact that rain makes plants grow. Those lovely monsoon rains are great for the garden and make our mountain sides look like Ireland, but weeds capitalize too. Here in the desert they must have the gene that tells them that time is short, so reproduce asap, like the spadefoot toads. This means that weeds pop out of the ground with flower buds on!

After a week hanging out with my sister-in-law and a 10-day vacation, it has taken me a week to uncover our house from the weeds and slash back a garden that managed to intimidate a grown man (Dan). There were cucumber and melon vines trying to get out of the enclosure, zucchini plants that grew a foot a day, and tomatoes more than 6 feet tall. The tomatoes are still there, but the zucchini and cucumbers are down to one producing arm, and most of the cants are on the compost pile.

I swear that a year after we move out the house will be completely engulfed in spurge, in spite of my valiant efforts to keep it at bay. But somehow it is comforting to know that Mom still rules. I just wish it wasn't in my garden in August. 

1 comment:

webb said...

Ah, the curse of spurge! I battle it almost daily. Your garden sounds wonderful, and a two-week vacation even more so. Glad you are back safely.