September 21, 2011

Mom never has an energy crisis

I have been cleaning out the garden some more after the August debacle. It is amazing that in the spring you put this tiny seed into the ground, or a small pot, sprinkle it with water and weeks later you pick leaves or fruit from it, and at the end of the season you have this mound of foliage. Talk about abundance! Talk about boundless energy! All that from that tiny seed. It never ceases to amaze and thrill me.


So I am down to tomato and pepper plants and a lingering cantaloupe that still has ripening fruit. Dan tilled a couple of beds for the winter garden and I have three flats of seedlings in the cold frame (really a box with protection from wildlife). Another week or so and they will go into the ground. I am making plans for next year's garden already. Hint: garden all year around and green manure.


I fished this praying mantis out of Cody's water bucket, and he sat on my arm for awhile drying his wings and antennae. I think they are some of the coolest insects, he looked me right in the eye and was totally at ease.

No comments: