September 7, 2011

Chicken Taj

It was time for the half-yearly coop-and-chicken-yard cleanup today. The cantaloupe, cucumber and zucchini peels were getting a bit deep out there. Frankly, I am surprised that I did not lose a chicken to an ill-aimed projectile this summer. It is my habit to throw any overgrown produce from the garden into the chicken yard, and I admit, I throw like a girl. And I do not always shout "incoming", although I am sure the chickens would appreciate that. They teeter that fine line between being first to the new tidbit, or getting beaned.

All is gorgeous and clean again, and ready for winter. The new hens are almost full grown and beautiful, I think we can expect to see some of their eggs show up any time.

1 comment:

webb said...

I love the mental image of a chicken getting beaned with a head of lettuce! You need to work on your aim.