May 27, 2009

New life

Signs of new life everywhere. There are the quail families of course, and "our" finches are about to fledge. Every time we stand in front of the sink we look to see if the three young ones are still there. It must be getting quite crowded up there but we have been resisting taking the egg carton out of the roost for fear that the young birds will decide to leave before their time. It is difficult to get a good picture of them, and not to upset them into catastrophic results, but there are 3 young finches up there.


The ground squirrel also has had babies and the young ones are quite adventurous and comical standing on their hind legs to get to new cactus buds. I bought the new metal seed container just in time I bet. I also caught this brandnew two-tail swallow tail butterfly drying its wings on one of our door frames. It sat there for quite awhile before taking off.


This morning I scared this spider who was perhaps contemplating making my watering can a home. It took me awhile to convince him that a bush was a better place as I use that can every day. I tried to look up what kind of spider he is, but my best guess is that it is a young tarantula. Kath, what do you think?

No comments: