May 22, 2009

Fortifications

Jacques has been fired: failure to perform duties as assigned. But Dan took over, and has saved the day, or rather the entire summer and fall, by making boxes covered with chickenwire that enclose the beds with the leafy greens. I really like the fact that the boxes are well made, very light, and that two boxes cover the length of the bed. It makes them easy to move to harvest, or perform other gardening duties.


The design was worked out yesterday while I was shopping in Tucson during a deluge (we got 0.35 inches of rain, yeah!), and we finished the remaining boxes together this morning. While I write this I can see some frustrated quails running up and down the rows through the garden.

An additional benefit: I can cover these boxes with plastic this winter and we'll have veggies all winter long.


Meanwhile I did spot a couple of tiny tomatoes and some small cantaloupes already, and I planted the garden less than a month ago. The seeds were started in mid March however. Ah, I am optimistic again ...

No comments: