January 15, 2009

Here dovey, dovey ...

The juvenile Cooper's hawk that I spooked out of the garden in mid December is still hanging around the house. I once surprised him as he was drinking from the fountain by the front door, and I also saw him from the kitchen window as he was sitting in the sun on a patio chair. He has not met many people apparently as he is not wary, but I never seem to have a camera ready to take his picture.

This morning he sat on the birdbath while we were having breakfast. Dan snuck up on him with the camera, first inside and eventually he was outside and close before the hawk flew off. The hawk must have been waiting for all the mourning doves to land for breakfast as I throw out seed at first light. He will have to learn to be a little less conspicuous to catch his breakfast.


Later in the morning Dan saw a Redtailed hawk sitting on the ramada over the adobe oven. He was a lot more shy, but waited until his picture was taken. I know, the ramada is in need of repair, but we have to wait for the Yuccas to bloom, sometime in May, as we use their stalks as roofing material.

No comments: