July 4, 2011

Monsoon signs

Humidity is up - to almost 40% in the early morning. Do I hear a groan from Webb back east :)? There are clouds forming now in the afternoons and there is at least the promise of rain.

I water the "orchard" every week: every tree gets 45 minutes of deep watering in its basin, and what do I see when changing the hose from tree to tree but some little spade foot toads swimming. Then it's quickly digging back into the soil when the tree drinks up all the water, but with a good rain storm they will come out to croak and attract their mates.


This morning, on horn worm patrol, I found a small tarantula in a tomato plant. I doubt he would help in controlling the horn worms, as a matter of fact I have never seen a tarantula hanging out in vegetation. Still have to see a desert tortoise, which will also emerge with the wetter weather. Come on, rain! 

1 comment:

webb said...

Groan, indeed. We got more than an inch of rain last night and probably a second inch tonight with more promised every evening thru Saturday! At least I won't have to worry about watering this week, but will I be able to cut the grass when it dries out?

Love your little toad, but was that really a tarantula? too cool!!