July 21, 2011

Back on our feet


The Forest Service recently opened the Forest now that a bit of rain has fallen, lessening some of the fire danger, and we felt we needed to treat Emma to a good walk. Poor dog has had to do with 45 minute morning walks only for a couple of months ... We went out the back door and did our quickie "round Blacktail Hill". It was still overcast after last night's rain, and not yet too steamy.


Monsoon rains bring out all kinds of other critters. I walked through swarms of just-hatched termites early this morning, and our path was suddenly covered with these velvet mites (trombidium sp). There are centipedes galore, and I watched one frustrated hen pecking at the chicken gate as one of these managed to escape 24 beaks.


During the hike it took me a little while to adjust my frame of mind after the regular cycling we have been doing. Why am I not going 16 mph when I put a fair amount of energy into my legs? Still, it was a nice hike, and Em certainly enjoyed the change of scenery. She is the only one sacked out; Dan and I are in fine shape.

1 comment:

webb said...

Velvet mite? so pretty. Happy time for Emma!