February 18, 2009

A not-so-quiet ride

I already decided last week that should I be excused from jury duty (iffy), and should the weather be nice (probably), I would take Buggsy out today to celebrate being done with jury duty for another 2 years. It's the bane of living in a large county with a small population: you can set your watch by the jury summons. Dan and I had both been called already once, so this was my second "tour" of duty.

Our county seat is in Bisbee, a very picturesque (other than the open copper mine) town almost on the Mexican border, 1 1/2 hour's drive from the WD. As last time, I made it to the panel of jurors but was excused (again) when the Public Defender found out that I had served on a jury in Oregon that had found the defendant guilty (DUI) after 15 minutes deliberation. Guess they do not want some lippy female that has an excellent BS detector (as one CEO once described me). Well, now really... when a guy is caught with meth and pot for sale and an arsenal of 8 different types of guns in his truck , should this need deliberation as to his guilt? What a waste of taxpayer's money! But I digress.


Buggs and I went out into the Forest this morning, and all was fine until he smelled, and I saw, a truck and we heard gunshots. I think the guy was just target shooting, or at least let's hope so as this is no hunting season. Poor Buggs freaked. I have encountered this situation with Cody before who also gets a bit wild, but Cody will settle down after awhile. I thought Buggs would too, but no chance. I opened the second gate and he almost jumped into my lap, got caught in the barbed wire but did listen when I tried to calm him so he only has a minor scratch on one foot. Lots of snorting and blowing hard, hard enough for the hunter to hear us.

We continued on our ride, but Buggs could find no peace so we basically trotted through the countryside for 2 hours. Once back home I realized that perhaps he had flashbacks to the time he was lost in the Chiricahuas during hunting season and he had to contend the saddle on his belly for a couple of days. We'll go out again on Friday, with Dan and Bueno, and hopefully all will be well again.


Dan stayed home today to finish his woodworking bench/feed out table, and it is a thing of beauty, as well as of function.


More excitement: we got a new electrical transformer right before lunch. The whole neighborhood is being upgraded. It took less than 30 minutes to switch new for old, so no computer time lost...

No comments: