June 2, 2011

Free, free at last

Sort of. At least the new chicks have been released into one side of the chicken yard, well away from the big hens, as in the coop. This is a precocious lot, and adventurous enough to find themselves in with the Big Crowd last night at roosting time. Thankfully, either the hens were too tired from a day of bug hunting and egg laying, or they really do not mind having all that small fry around.


I thought it time though that the chicks be given a little more room and a chance for a nice dust bath and some sitting in sun or shade under one of the mesquites. The yard is neither snake proof (neither is the coop) or hawk proof, but we are crossing our fingers that these small birds are now large enough to not come to that type of harm.

2 comments:

webb said...

So cute! I love my fish, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about chicks in the yard!

Anneke said...

Why oh why are you able to comment on my blog, and I cannot on yours (or anyone else's)? How I wish that Google would get their problem fixed!