June 8, 2011

But I'm a big girl now

I have had one heck of a time keeping the young hens separated from the old flock. I read that hens are not nice to newcomers and would peck and terrorize them. But from day one several of the young 'uns are slipping through the wire to be with their older sisters. It's not that their side of the yard is not nice: it has shade and plenty of room to roam, but perhaps the flocking instinct - if there is such a thing - is too strong.


Tonight I found one of the new birds roosting with the big girls, and as I have found so far, the big girls do not seem to mind, or care. If we get the horse patio done this weekend I may just let the young ones have the run of the whole place. They are getting too big to worm through most of the holes anyway.

2 comments:

webb said...

I assume that the fire is far, far away??? have been worried about you. No news in your post, so...

Hug the chicks!

Anneke said...

Well, the Wallow fire is far away, but across the valley, the Chiricahua Wilderness has been burning for more than a month: more than 10,000 acres now. Every time I stand at the kitchen window I see more columns of smoke and at night we can see the flames from 60miles away. It is very, very sad. The National Forest behind us is closed now ($5000 fine), and I am glad for that.

Still no luck on being able to put comments on your post. Hope you read this.