May 19, 2011

Ode to cycling


We have been on our bicycles a lot. I think to the dismay of our dogs, as well as our horses. When you are retired, there are only so many hours in a day ... We will make it up to everybody, but we are having such a splendid time.

We leave right after breakfast, around 7 or so, when it is cool and not windy. There is no trouble finding good routes as the roads here are well maintained and not very heavily travelled. The exception is the 1.5 miles of washboard to get us to those paved roads. So far we have been toughing it out, helmets abouncing and fat rolls ajiggling, but I think we are close to putting the bikes on the bike rack and driving to the pavement.

It is great to feel the wind in your face, hear the cheering of the cardinal on the power line, seeing a deer leap a fence and run along side, or see a hawk scratch his chin as you ride by. So far my only worry has been whether I will hit a cottontail that dashes across the road in front of me. We have not yet begun our training for the planned rides this fall, so we are doing LSDs (long slow distances). Nonetheless, I am having a difficult time staying in my "endurance zone", and not getting too carried away with going fast. I think it is just my natural pace biking; at least that is my story. We adore our bikes: they are yare.

1 comment:

webb said...

I think it was Lance [Armstong, of course] who taught Mitchell to pick up his cadence, so ride faster, Girl! especially if it's a comfortable pace for you. Enjoy!