October 20, 2008

Memories


When I drove from Oregon to Arizona to come live here, the entire back of my Subaru was dedicated to my 3 house rabbits: Zip, Zelda and Lucy. I had picked up Zip off the street one December after he had been surviving in the neighborhood for about 6 months. Apparently one of my neighbors had not been in control of her domesticated rabbits breeding and she turned loose the lot when it became too much to care for.

I felt sorry for Zip all by himself, so we adopted 2 sisters that had been abandoned and were rescued by a vet and handed over to the House Rabbit Society. The 3 of them had a nice condo in the living room with a view of the yard, so when we moved to Arizona they were installed in a similar location.

All of them are now in Bunny Heaven, and my friend Linda, who cared for these rabbits on a number of occasions, made glass grave markers for them. The Bunz are buried just beyond the "yard", under a nicely trimmed mesquite, and it is great looking out over them from the house. Zelda, having been the last one to pass, got her marker this morning. As Dan and I installed it we noticed that a wild bunny has taken up residence with the old girl. Comforting thought.

No comments: