October 21, 2008

Got ya!

The pack rat in the potting shed has been raising cain there for weeks. When I go to check in the morning a number of small pots have been thrown from the shelves, all kinds of vegetation has been brought in, and even gloves and small clippers have become part of his new household. Every day I have been cleaning out the nest, and once when I just threw all his "furniture" into a bucket, I found them all back the next day. Apparently he was big enough to get into the bucket and jump out with his treasures.

Yesterday Dan set the live trap and baited it with mesquite beans. And voila, this morning he sat in the trap, not looking too distressed. Dan walked him out to the back of our 20 acres and he reluctantly left. I wonder if I should have put some marking on him to see if he returns. I swear I must have caught an ordinary house mouse in Oregon at least a dozen times in a live trap... Hopefully this is too far for a pack rat to wander back.


No comments: