June 20, 2013

First tomatoes

Like many a gardener I start off the year by saying "this will be the best garden yet", and I think that indeed this may be The Year. Mom was on my side as we had no late frost, read: apricots and (hopefully) a lot of peaches, and we had some rain in May which might have provided enough wild greenery for the bugs to leave the garden alone. Those early insects seem to bring diseases that affect the tomatoes.

So even though I am prone to whining a bit this week (it's HOT ... sniff), having garden tomatoes this time of year is a bit of a payoff. I did not plant a garden in Oregon until Memorial Day so I think that tomato plants in the Pacific Northwest are still little and they might even be shivering.


Now the problem is how to consume these beauties. Fresh on a salad? With Dan in Texas this week, I see some shrimp or scallops in garlic and tomato sauce in my future.

1 comment:

webb said...

Tomatoes on June 20!!!! How marvelous. Enjoy them all.