April 15, 2013

Perennial herbs

Last week I shopped at my favorite Tucson store: Mesquite Valley Growers. I only go a couple of times a year because I could drop some serious money there. I think I missed my calling, not having gone into the horticultural business, but then I would probably have a different lifestyle and not be living here at this point in my life.

I go with a plan, or I would be all day wandering around, and the mission was herbs for the new perennial herb garden. Also got flowering plants for the patio pots this year.

After letting the plants get acclimatized for some days, I got them into the ground this morning.



The spring winds are fierce in the desert, so I protected most of them and mulched them with gravel. Hopefully this will discourage the rabbits as well until they get used to new greenery. It is not so much that they will eat the herbs because they have left those in the patio pots alone, it is more of a "hmm- something-new-how-does-it-taste-ah-yuck-that-can't-be-right-let's-try-another-branch-ah-yuck" type of thing.


1 comment:

webb said...

Its great looking!! Love the way you used rocks to section it off. Cant wait to see it in a month or six weeks. The White House has nothing on you ... well, more space ... and way more help keeping it up.

Wish you could have gone with me yesterday. It was really neat.