March 7, 2013

Managing restraint

At least, I am trying to. We are having a couple of spring-like days, and immediately some plants respond. The rosemary is blooming and several of the fruit trees are too. This morning one of the little peach trees was covered with blooms and bees. All this gets my system revved up for garden work, there is always so much fun to be had in spring: buying new annuals, starting garden seeds, work beds.




But there is a winter storm watch tomorrow and even if we escape freezing temperatures, it is still too early to get too enthused.

The other reason for restraint is respecting recovery. Both Dan and I are getting over a good bout of the flu. We spent days in bed, had to call in help from our friend Dave to clean stalls for a couple of days, and are still hacking and trying to cultivate some appetite. I know by now that I had better not push too hard or I will relapse and spend another week coughing and dragging along.

It is time that winter goes! We have sun, but need some heat.

1 comment:

webb said...

Sorry to hear you have been sick. We have, too, and it's not fun!

Can't believe you have bees already! Marvelous! I do think this might have been the last bad blast of winter. We should be around 60 by the end of next week .... hope, hope, hope!