February 20, 2013

Orchard pruning


So the forecast was for 100% chance of precipitation with Storm Q coming in, but with one thing and another my friend Phil, the HIC (Horticulturist In Charge), and I decided that today would be a great day to prune the fruit trees and the grape vines.

All was well this morning, a little windy and cool and some snow in the hills but there was lots of time for me to get educated (I am getting the art of pruning!) and for the trees to get shaped for health and fruit. We went to get some lunch and in rolled the storm, over the hills.

There were just the grapevines to be pruned and the walnut and pecan, and we ignored the weather. Frankly, it was fun, knowing that we were almost done and a warm house was awaiting.


I am refilling bird feeders, and expecting 3 inches of snow.


1 comment:

webb said...

What a great picture of the birds on the snowy cactus!

We are not good at pruning, so I admire your taking lessons. Hope it leads to a big crop this summer.

Looks like the worst of the storm has passed you now, hope you are ok.