December 19, 2012

Walkabout, in the snow

We have been having some weather this past week. First it was a little over an inch of rain, then last night winds picked up with 45 mph gusts and we had another "chance of precipitation". It was still dark this morning at my usual get up time and consequently I overslept. When I hurried out in jammies and a robe to feed the horses, I was hit with horizontal snow! And who comes out of the blizzard to greet me but Cody, our youngest and omega, horse!

He was soaking wet and had apparently had a gay old time. He knew the game was up however, and let me put a halter on him without any protest. The door to the stall was closed but the gate at the rear had blown open in the wind. I put him back in the stall and pitched hay, but he was not interested. Heavens no, not only had he eaten his fill in the barn, he had opened the oat bucket too!

Once it was light it became obvious that he had enjoyed himself in spite of the weather. He walked around the barn, squeezed himself between two fences barely wide enough for a person to reach the back of Bueno's stall. I wonder if this was a gesture of "I am out here and you are not, and I can eat whatever I want in whatever quantity I want, so there!" Bueno is Cody's nemesis and regularly pushes Cody around, and was this retribution? Last week Cody had been kicked in the shoulder and had suffered a swollen limb for a couple of days. A small abscess even had to be doctored and stall rest was administered. So did Cody have the last laugh this morning?


This is Cody in better weather (March 2010), having another good time.

2 comments:

webb said...

Had no idea horses were so much like puppies!

webb said...

Anneke, i literally filled the wide pot with dirt, then layeredthe greens in a row at thetime. It took maybe ten minutes. The upright stuff went inlast and where it looked skimpy, i added whatever was leftover and fluffy on a bit more of an angle. Super easy - i promise.