January 17, 2012

Pruning day

It was blustery and cold yesterday, but I had a great time outside. My friend Phil came all the way from Las Cruces, New Mexico to give me a lesson in pruning fruit trees. I had done my best last year to give the trees every opportunity to set fruit, but frankly, I had botched the job. Pruning is not something that is easily learned from a book or the internet. It takes a professional, with hopefully some teaching skills, to get you on the correct path. Thankfully, Phil is both (ex)pro and teacher.

Because of all the explanations, and because the trees were a bit out of hand, it took most of the day to prune the orchard: 3 peach trees, 3 apples, 3 pears, an apricot, a fig, an Italian plum, an Arizona walnut and a pecan. And 4 mistreated grapevines.

A peach tree before.

During.

And the result.

I look forward to seeing my gorgeous little trees set bloom and leaf, and perhaps we may see a little fruit this year. If not, there's always next year.

1 comment:

webb said...

Ah, power pruning! Mitchell would be in pruner's heaven. He doesn't really know a thing - just does it instinctively, but somehow it works. He would love a Phil-lesson. Can't wait to see your results.