November 17, 2008

Out the back gate

We are truly living a dream. How many people are in the position, like we are, to walk out the door on any Monday morning, like today, in sunny weather, saddle up two of our good and reliable horses, and ride out our back gate to go exploring in the Coronado National Forest?


We dreamt it, but I for one did not believe it would truly ever happen. What have we done to deserve this? I can only think of one price I have paid for this privilege: I have gotten old. Old looking I guess I should say, because I feel as I did in my 30's. What has happened to that face in the mirror? Too much sun exposure without sunscreen is the answer, but I grew up where too much sun was not an issue, and if I ever did get the opportunity to soak it up, by golly, I did! I guess I should look at those wrinkles as the fabulous vacation memories of my young years.


Our rides are generally not eventful, just relaxing, and we try to make them fun for the horses as well as ourselves. We do not have any pasture at the WD, so we give our boys plenty of opportunity to graze at good looking grassy spots along our way. It relaxes them, lets them be a horse, and gives us a chance to look at the spectacular scenery. We are generally just gone for a couple of hours, a couple of times a week. It does not get any better than this!

No comments: